Monday, 9 May 2011

Ode To Mothers


A Collection of Famous Quotes and Proverb's....
In honour of all the mother's out there and the soon to be...

Be kind to your mother-in-law. Babysitters are expensive. - Old English joke.

She broke the bread into fragments and gave them to the children,
who ate avidly.
"She hath none for herself" grumbled the Sergeant.
"Because she is not hungry" said the soldier.
"Because she is a mother" said the Sergeant. - Victor Hugo

"All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother" - Abraham Lincoln

An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy - Spanish proverb

I was the light of my mother's life, and now she is the light of mine - Lauren Bacall

Who ran to help me when I fell,
And would some pretty story tell,
Or kiss the place to make it well?
My Mother - Ann Taylor

My Mum's the best Mum in the world because she gives me fifty cents - Paul Russell (5)

The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world - W.R. Wallace

Cooking and cleaning can wait till tomorrow
For babies grow up, we learn to our sorrow.
So blow away cobwebs
Dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby
And babies don't keep. - Anonymous

A mother understands what the child does not say - Jewish proverb

The mother's ear is so close to the heart that it can hear the faintest whisper of a child. - Kate Wiggin

I like my mother because she makes me feel happy - Emma (6)

One good mother is worth a hundred schoolmasters. - Anonymous

A mother has the innate ability for aggravating the wounds of her offspring's pride. This is inevitable since the relationship between mother and child is a most unnatural one....other species have the good sense to banish their young at an early age! - John Rae

No man is really successful until his mother-in-law admits it - English joke

For a mother, the son always shines - Proverb

Thou art thy mother's glass, and she in thee
Calls back the lovely April of her prime - William Shakespeare

Before I became a mother I had a hundred theories on how to bring up children.
Now I have seven children and only one theory; love them
Especially when they least deserve to be loved.

Children are the anchor that hold a mother to life - Sophocles

Mother knows best - Edna Ferber

Blessed be childhood, which brings down something of heaven into the midst of our rough earthliness - Henri Frederic Ameil

There is no finer investment for any community than putting milk into babies. - Sir Winston Churchill

This is an operation demanding immense determination, energy and knowledge of how to do the most efficient. (By this job, I mean of course mean Motherhood - Elizabeth Longford

All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That is his - Oscar Wilde


Many years ago, as I was pregnant with my first child, I picked up a saying that really struck a cord with me. If there was only one piece of information that I could pass onto these expectant Mum's it would be this saying:

It takes two people to make a child....
...but a whole village to raise one.

On that note, I encourage each and every new mother who suspects she may be struggling to seek help from her village of support.

No comments:

Post a Comment